Sunday, July 10, 2011

Polack Shortcakes

As far as I can remember into my childhood, my mother usually served strawberry shortcakes on angel food cake. A few weeks ago, Paddy and I bought some strawberries at Whole Foods. Berries notoriously go moldy in our home because we forget to eat them the first day. Never again.

On that day, I decided to make shortcakes for our strawberries. I've never made shortcake before, but I'm sure I saw a recipe on the Bisquick box. Miraculously we had all the ingredients in the house. First ingredient is 4 pints of strawberries. Check. Next was 1/2 cup of sugar. I poured it in my Pyrex mixing bowl and set to work adding all the other ingredients..until I got to the 3 tbsp of sugar part. Why would I add another 3 tbsp of sugar when we already added 1/2 cup. Turns out that 1/2 cup of sugar is supposed to go on the strawberries. Woops. Oh, well, I finished and baked them anyways.

Over the past few weeks I've messed with the recipe until I feel confident to post it here. (Or I've been busy eating shortcakes and finally decided to stop being lazy and post it.) In any case, you'll love it. Shortcakes that are so sweet and heavenly and cakey. No dry, cardboardy biscuits here.

Polack shortcakes:
1/2 cup of sugar
2 1/3 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
some shakes of cinnamon
3 tbsp melted butter

Mix ingredients. Make 6 lumps on a Silpat baking sheet. (If you don't have Silpats, they're heavenly, get them.)

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.

They're so good you'll eat any leftovers naked once the berries and whipped cream are gone.


Here's tonight's finished dessert of blackberry shortcakes, but Paddy used my shortcakes to complete it so I'll have to have him tell you what he did. It's so damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment