Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jane's Chili

I just made this up today. I make up my chili recipe every time I make a pot. But I make this for Jane because the girl loves chili and beans and I sneak in lots of veggies and some grains. Then I don't feel as bad letting her have an Oreo for dessert.

1/2 pound ground meat (I used beef today.)
1 onion
4 stalks of celery
1 quart canned quartered tomatoes
1/2 bag of frozen chopped broccoli
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
broth (I used turkey)
garlic powder
cumin
chili powder
ground red pepper
quinoa

In a soup pot, brown the ground meat. Do not drain. Add onions and celery. Dump in tomatoes with juice and half the bag of chopped broccoli. Feel free to add other veggies. I have used carrots, beets, corn, etc. in the past. Drain and rinse beans. Add to pot. Also feel free to use what ever kind of beans you'd like or to soak up some dried beans over night. I was being lazy today and used the canned ones. Season with chili seasoning. Make it as hot, or not as you'd like. Jane can handle some burn. ;)

Add broth. I probably added about 6 oz. I have homemade broth frozen in silicone cupcake cups. Each one is about 1.5 oz and I think I tossed in 4 ish. It happened to be turkey stock. Use whatever you have or like.

Bring pot to a boil and let simmer for a while. Mine probably was around an hour, but I wasn't really paying attention. Cook until the veggies are tender. Pour in some quinoa (or any other grain) I probably added 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of quinoa. The goal is to absorb the extra liquid and thicken things up. Cook for however longer your grain needs to properly cook.

Serve. Freeze in smaller sized portions to defrost.

Jane after 2 bowls of her chili and an Oreo.

No comments:

Post a Comment